[DeTomaso] Cam Question

Art Stephens artstephens at charter.net
Thu Nov 15 13:58:37 EST 2007

     After blowing up my 377 stroker Cleveland with 10:1 closed chamber cast iron heads,  I am now having a 408 stroker Cleveland built at 10:1 with CHI aluminum 3V heads.  I have been planning all along to use the cam from the previous engine,  it only had 13,000 miles on it.  The cam is a Comp Cams hydraulic roller #32-541-8.  Gross valve lift is .578 for intake and exhaust.  Duration at .006 is 290.  Duration at .050 is 230.  Lobe separation is 110.  Intake centerline is 106.  The previous engine was fun but I wouldn't call it scary fast,  and it didn't really feel like a stump puller either.  My thought is that,  increasing the cubic inches  by 30,  and using the same cam,  should make it more of a stump puller?  I don't imagine the new heads will hurt anything either?  I am more than willing to sacrifice some top speed potential to get more tire twisting torque.  I just hate to build the engine and regret not going with a different cam.  Any thoughts,  suggestions?

Thanks,
Art