[DeTomaso] water pump recommendations

Curt Hall cuvee at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 14 23:39:16 EST 2007

I have one of the Flow Cooler water pumps BRA-1648 for my 351C. Summit Racing sells for $89.88. They say it flow 30% more at low RPM. Been to Vegas the three years with no heating problems!

  Good Luck
  Curt

MikeLDrew at aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 11/14/07 18 20 7, pantdino at aol.com writes:

> For a stock-engined car that is only driven on the street when it's not too
> hot outside, does it make any difference which water pump you have?? The car
> does not overheat.
>
>>>Better pumps are, well, better.
>
> >I'll be having Steve Wilkinson replace my thermostat and timing chain and
> gears soon, and Bill has recommended that the water pump be replaced while we
> are in there.? The recommended pump? is a $260 aluminum high volume one.?
> That seems a bit steep for a water pump to me.
>
>>>Me too. A good 351C water pump will feature a Boss 302-style impeller
with a plate on the back side, which goes a long way towards preventing
cavitation of the pump. The one on my car came from Dennis Quella, and is based on a
Weiand pump body. The impeller has the plate riveted to the back side.
Jack has said that the Weiand 351C pump does away with the bypass warm-up
circuit, which would theoretically allow you to run a standard 351W thermostat
instead of a 351C unit, but I haven't actually confirmed that. I think they cost
about $170 or so.

Larry Stock sells various made-in-China heavy-duty 351C pumps with proper
impellers. The castings have much more reinforcement than a standard pump, and
would appear to be stronger, although you always gotta wonder about stuff from
China. They are substantially cheaper, just over $100 if memory serves.

Edelbrock water pumps are widely acknowledged as being among the best around.
Instead of thin, cheap, stamped-steel impellers, they use one-piece cast
impellers with an integral plate. Summit sells them for $165.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/water_pumps/water_pumps_main.shtml

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=EDL%2D8844&
N=700+115&autoview=sku

> >Any reason a standard iron pump won't work just as well??
>
>>>The Boss 302 used a standard iron pump housing, with the aforementioned
special impeller design, and those work well too. I don't know if the Boss 351
used the same design, and in any case, a genuine Boss water pump would
probably be both hard to find and quite expensive. If you're replacing your pump,
you're pretty much confined to three choices--rebuilt stock cast-iron junk
from the auto parts store, offshore aluminum, or high-quality (and expensive)
made-in-USA.

> Somewhere I think I read that high volume pumps can cause other problems if
> the system isn't designed for it.
>
>>>I think you're thinking about high-volume OIL pumps, not water pumps.

You can spend a bunch more money on a water pump if it's polished, but who
needs a polished water pump on a Pantera? I'd seriously consider one of the
less-expensive, high-quality alternatives above....