[DeTomaso] water pump recommendations

pantdino at aol.com pantdino at aol.com
Wed Nov 14 21:19:13 EST 2007

Hi, Everyone,

For a stock-engined car that is only driven on the street when it's not too hot outside, does it make any difference which water pump you have?? The car does not overheat.

I'll be having Steve Wilkinson replace my thermostat and timing chain and gears soon, and Bill has recommended that the water pump be replaced while we are in there.? The recommended pump? is a $260 aluminum high volume one.? That seems a bit steep for a water pump to me.

Any reason a standard iron pump won't work just as well?? Somewhere I think I read that high volume pumps can cause other problems if the system isn't designed for it.

?

Jim Oddie