[DeTomaso] Best valve spring compressor

Paul - Home thedrol at pobox.com
Mon Nov 12 17:30:09 EST 2007

Have you used this on a Cleveland engine?  I was concerned that you
wouldn't be able to compress the spring enough to get the valve keepers
out.  The one time I used this type was on a four cylinder head and it
didn't work too well.  If it works well on a Cleveland head, I expect it
would be easier than the hand operated C-Clamp method which for me was a
pain.  It took a lot of time to align everything and due to the amount
of force required to activate the C-clamp, it was difficult to keep it
properly aligned.

As for the air operated C-Clamp, it was a dream.  All of the springs on
a head could be removed in a matter of minutes.  As you press the air
actuator button the c-clamp extends slowly, let go as you get close to
properly align everything (it doesn't retract) then hit the actuator
again to compress the spring fully and you're done.

Paul