[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 40, Issue 11 3.2 gears

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 12 00:31:23 EST 2007

Wooooooot?!

  Are you saying Ken will get to 200 MPH with a taller 5th gear at Silver State at elevation?!
  I don't think so. ;-]>

  He's gonna need at least 600RWHP and to keep the motor together for very long and the Pantera on the road he's also gotta keep the R's under 6,000.

  He'll need more then a taller 5th gear but I know you really meant to say that right! ;-]>

  Remember Larry has more then one ZF....He normally runs the 3.77. That 3.2 ring gear sits in a ZF on the floor of his shop.

  Dawg

RCBSONS1 at aol.com wrote:
  Ken,
I think the taller fifth is the way to go
It really tames down my sort of edgey motor
Just build a motor you can spin up with turbos
and all... that will get your 200mph
The gears will be right for the track also
Larry's car is geared way too high for a Road
Race course... I can give you a copy of his in car
camera and you can hear the motor lugging

Clutch wear?
We did not even replace the clutch in my car
with with 7 track days, 1 silver state and a lot
of cruising which I think is the hardest on the clutch and
throw out bearing... and it is great to drive on the street
What really surprises me is it does not load up like all
my old Muscle Cars used to... love that 830 Nascar Holley

I think Dawg is right about the heat thing... several of
my Vette buddies with Turboed cars and intercoolers
state the heat is the biggest problem they have
One with approx 900hp and the other in the 800 range

Or just build a Sprint Car motor and spin it to 9500 rpm
and 200 will come real quick

Bob Benson