[DeTomaso] The latest on the non-cruise cruise control

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 05:36:02 EST 2007

That is one of the saddest things I've ever heard.....

The whole idea of cruise control on an exotic sports car is just laughable
me.   Cruise control is for people who don't have any interest in driving,
and are just using a vehicle as a transportation module to get from one
place to
another.   Sports cars are supposed to be driven by people who LIKE to be
involved, and like to actually DRIVE their car, not passenger in it.

I admit that droning along a freeway for 12 hours would get a bit tiresome
in
a Pantera.   But then again, if that's how somebody is getting to Las Vegas,

they're largely missing the point there too!

Mike (600 miles from my house to Vegas, of which only about 30 are on
anything other than two-lane roads!)
}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Mike, I respectfully disagree with your post. I'd much rather see someone
drive their Pantera 12 hours with cruise control than leave it at home, go
in a rental car, or not go at all. Not everyone has a week to spend simply
traveling to an event, and the choice is either a) banzai run on the highway
to be able to enjoy a few days of Pantera bonding or b) not attend.

Assuming that Vegas is somewhat like the International Meetings, there
simply isn't enough time to do everything "right" - take only two-lane roads
to get from Spain to Austria would be a week-long affair, ditto from Chicago
to Vegas. So compromises are made - we'll enjoy the event "right", spend 4
days basking in Pantera stuff - but get the trip there over with as quickly
as possible since it is a damn long way, even highway droning.

I salute someone who drives their car to Vegas, even if they took all
highways, instead of going by plane. At least they are getting some use out
of the car and can participate in events during the weekend in it (track
day, etc).