[DeTomaso] 3.2 gears and clutch life?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Nov 11 00:52:46 EST 2007

In a message dated 11/10/07 10:36:15 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

>     I've been told that Larry Stock tried 3,2 gears and ended up cooking
> clutches.  I'm wondering if that was with a big Holley and a big cam so the
> engine had to be revved to higher RPM from a standing start?
>
>>>His motor was a torque-monster Aussie 351C, with gobs of bottom-end.   The
gears were ridiculously tall, and I personally saw his clutch come flying out
of the car on a steep, 10 mph uphill hairpin turn driving around Lake Tahoe
(Darryl Johnson had borrowed the car and wasn't very adept at manipulating a
clutch).   When Larry took the car apart the entire flywheel was bright blue
from the heat!

>     >  With EFI and a mild cam (low overlap for turbos), would I have the
> same problem?  The engine should run much smoother and much better at a lot
> lower RPM.  I know I can get a higher 5th gear, but I like the spacing of the
> stock gears.
>
>>>The 3.20 gearset is completely and totally useless for the street.   Lloyd
Butfoy built a ZF for a friend in the UK (whose GT5 has 24-inch short tires)
and sent it to him with the 3.20 by mistake, instead of the proper 3.77.   The
car has a 550 hp/550 ft/lb aluminum Windsor, but it's totally miserable to
drive.   He cruises on the freeway in 3rd gear, because 4th and 5th are too
tall, effectively turning his car into a three-speed.  Even with all that torque,
most any other car can kick his ass at the stoplights, unless he just abuses
it like crazy.   I saw him run the car in a dragstrip setting, and he went
through the traps in 2nd gear.   How dumb is that???

With standard-sized tires (i.e. 315 or 335/35-17), the problem would just be
worse.

BTW I just shipped him a 3.77 ring and pinion yesterday; Johnny Woods will be
re-rebuilding his gearbox this winter.   Lloyd was gentlemanly enough to
acknowledge his error and provided the ring and pinion (which is about a
$2500-3000 affair) for free.