[DeTomaso] 3.2 gears and clutch life?

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 10 23:51:10 EST 2007

Jack,

      What I think really matters is the engines ability to pull at low enough RPM to have acceptably low clutch slip.  I don't know Larry's engine build is/was, but I assume his 410 ft lbs was not at 1,200 RPM.  Based on the carbs on Jr. Willson's engine, and the claimed HP, I'd guess he wasn't making much HP at 1,200 either.  I don't doubt that both Larry and Jr Wilson would have to rev a bit to get into their power range to launch, and cook the clutch.  An engine with EFI and a mild cam may make a lot more torque at 1,200 to 1,500 rpm either of these.

  Ken

JDeRyke at aol.com wrote:
  For 3.20 rear end gears, you'll need about 550-or-more ft lbs of torque as a
guess. Larry only had 410 in the red car and consequently could not get off
the line without extensive slipping of the clutch- which quickly destroyed it.
That included two Centerforces and a Long-type. In my estimation, no one with
the possible exception of Jr Wilson's 900-horse monster should try using this
assembly on the street; Bonneville only! If your Pantera can pull this gear, it
should be good for around 250 mph, give-or-take... just what you need to be
first in line at Costco. FWIW- J DeRyke

See what's new at
http://www.aol.com