[DeTomaso] dry sump system

hoppe1 hoppe1 at cox.net
Sat Nov 10 22:53:00 EST 2007

I bought a car with at dry sump system.  This is my first experience with a dry sump.
Today I was replacing the oil lines since they are of an unknown age.
My question is does the oil sitting in the reservoir bleed into the engine when it sits for a while?
I drained the reservoir which was not full and then when I removed the oil scavage lines from the engine oil pan I drained probably 8 quarts of oil out of the engine.   Is is suppose to do this?  Not what I thought a dry sump would do.

Anyone have dry sump experience?

thanks Rich