[DeTomaso] The latest on the non-cruise cruise control

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Sat Nov 10 17:38:19 EST 2007

Well, I hooked up the vacuum storage cannister and the cruise control still didn't work.  It tried to, in the sense it pulled the throttle when I tapped the "resume/accel" button, but it wouldn't hold the speed constant at all.  Reversing the hoses on the cannister caused the thing to not work at all, indicating my first hunch on where to hook the hoses was correct.

The wiring has been checked and re-checked and this is the second unit I tried (the first wouldn't even respond at all, with the same wiring hookup) so with much consternation, I took it out and sent it back to Summit for a cheerful refund.

Of course, what they don't refund is the hours and hours spent trouble-shooting and trying to figure out what was wrong in the first place!  (Thanks again, Doug, for all your help with the wiring check-up).

I've heard there are fully electric cruise controls available which are better than the vacuum type, but since they seem to cost almost three times as much as this one did, I'll have to sell a few more things on ebay before I can delve into that.  (The truth is, my "Pantera account" is in a $1600 deficit position right now, so it may be a long while until I get back to the cruise control issue.  Keeping track of all the Pantera expenses to the penny--that's what I get for marrying a CPA!)

I'm considering making the drive to Vegas in April for the big shindig, but I'd for sure want cruise control in before I did a trip that long.

Sincerely,

Chris