[DeTomaso] (DeTomaso) Where can I find a new gas tank?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Nov 9 18:08:30 EST 2007

In a message dated 11/9/07 8:56:06 AM, msm at portata.com writes:

> Last year at LV, I went around the parking lot looking at the space between
> the headers and tanks and found a wide difference in the amount of space.
> Some of the differences could be explained by differences among aftermarket
> headers, but it also appeared that some tanks were located further out than
> others.  Is that true or were all tanks the same size and position in the
> Ford-year models?

Ys- and the tank's placement is variable within about 1-1/2". Below the tank
is a clevis-bolt and nut attached to the strap going over the top of the tank.
By loosening the nut and CAREFULLY pushing the tank, it will slide towards
the outside of the car some distance in a slotted hole. But be careful- the tank
is incredibly thin steel and using a pry bar can actually crack the side!
There's also some rubber under the tank where it sets on the frame rail, and this
stuff tends to disintegrate, allowing the tank to move around. Be sure to
re-tighten the clevis afterwards. Obviously, this is easier if the   gas level is
low since its 6-1/2 lbs/gallon. A second bolt & nut may be needed to jam the
clevis-bolt at the position you want in the slotted bracket underneath.
Finally, if all seems hopeless, you can form a dent in the tank to get more
of an air gap to the headers. My SVO heads have raised exhaust ports which
kicked one header tube outboard almost an inch, so rather than heating & bending
the headers, I put a bottle jack against the engine and pushed a 1" dent in the
shield and tank. So far (16 years!) no fires or leaks. FWIW- J DeRyke