[DeTomaso] (DeTomaso) Where can I find a new gas tank?

Mark McWhinney msm at portata.com
Fri Nov 9 11:54:55 EST 2007

I have an early 71 with a fiberglass wrapped tank with aftermarket headers.
I don't know if the heat shield is original or not.

The headers touch the heat shield which is only a fraction of an inch from
the tank.  (Done by a prior owner.)  This worries me but nothing has blown
up.

Last year at LV, I went around the parking lot looking at the space between
the headers and tanks and found a wide difference in the amount of space.
Some of the differences could be explained by differences among aftermarket
headers, but it also appeared that some tanks were located further out than
others.  Is that true or were all tanks the same size and position in the
Ford-year models?