[DeTomaso] Steering Column Bird Noises

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Nov 8 23:36:53 EST 2007

In a message dated 11/8/07 6:46:35 PM, claywillmott at hotmail.com writes:

> I have a new steering wheel noise that is a shrill chirp when I hit bumps
> and heard mainly from the steering wheel.  I did not notice it before having
> to remove and replace the steering wheel twice recently-long story.  My rack
> was rebuilt a few years ago from my cars records.  This is not the same as a
> clunk from a bad rack is it?  I will put the car up and check the front wheels
> side to side as well.
>
> Any input?  Or parts in the column itself that are prone to failure?

A-ha.   You removed and replaced the wheel recently?   Can I assume that you
don't have a stock wheel, but perhaps a LaCarra replacement?  Overtightening
the nut which holds the hub to the steering shaft can break the nylon bushing
at the bottom of the tube which is bolted to the underside of the support
(which is part of the chassis structure).

Try this experiment--sit in the car, and push straight in on the steering
wheel.   Does it move a quarter inch or more, sort of 'boing' in and out?   Get
out of the car, and look at the bottom of the tube.   There should be 1/8 inch
of clearance or more between the bottom of the tube, and the U-joint.   Is the
U-joint touching the tube?

Both of those symptoms would confirm the diagnosis of a broken plastic
bushing (or, less likely, the snap ring holding the shaft in place against the
bushing might have popped out of the groove in the steering shaft).

I wrote an article detailing the problems and solutions to this problem--it
was published in a recent PCNC newsletter, June 2007.   You can download the
article (complete with full-color photos) at

http://www.panteraclubnorcal.com/articles/News0706.pdf

Cheers!