[DeTomaso] (DeTomaso) Where can I find a new gas tank?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Nov 8 20:20:41 EST 2007

In a message dated 11/8/07 11:12:31 AM, r565h737 at yahoo.com writes:

> Can someone tell me where I can buy a new Aluminum or stainless Pantera gas
> tank??

Precision Performance (www.precisionperformance.com) advertises stainless
steel tanks.   I just saw one a few days ago; it looks beautiful.

BUT.   I think they come from the same source as Hall Pantera's tank, and you
know what that means.

It doesn't fit.

Or at least, it might not.   I spoke with another Pantera owner at the SEMA
show (Chris Wilkins) who had a hell of a time, because the new tank was ever so
slightly 'off'.   With the tank installed, the exhaust headers ran smack into
it.   In attempting to shove the tank sideways to get more clearance, the
outside of the tank struck the inside of his quarter panel and cracked the paint.

He was Not Pleased.

He felt the solution was to cut a channel into the tank and have it rewelded,
which would sacrifice about a gallon of fuel capacity but ensure mondo
clearance.   I don't necessarily agree though, unless you also modify the gas tank
shield.

Then again, I think lots of people are running around with these aftermarket
tanks with no problems.   It's worth mentioning that the problematic car was
actually pieced together from two junked Panteras, so that might have had
something to do with the alignment issue.

Buy a new tank, but be very sure to verify the fit before committing to
installing the motor etc. for good.   Install the tank, then install the
engine/gearbox combo, and the left header, and only after you're happy should you start
to tighten the first bolt!

BTW, is your existing tank so far gone that it can't be repaired?