[DeTomaso] Torque plates

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Nov 8 14:41:35 EST 2007

In a message dated 11/8/07 9:17:11 AM, pantera at kommevalla.se writes:

> I'm going to make a pair of torque plates for using when honing
> the cylinder bores. Anyone that have the correct measurements of the bolt patterns and
> the cylinder bores?

Some shops simply use a set of head gaskets for their pattern on a slab of
steel plate. Note there are a couple of things to consider. First, we should use
use ALUMINUM torque plates when working with alloy cylinder heads, as the
stresses put into blocks are different than with iron heads. And if you're going
to use studs in place of bolts, that also changes things.. Second, the
originator of the idea- Smokey Yuinick- took iron Chevy cylinder heads and bored the
cylinder holes clear through the combustion chambers to make the first torque
plates. If you have trashed stock heads (2V or 4V), this could be used and
would be cheaper, lighter and easier to move around the shop. Finally, Smokey
also found that it was necessary to torque the main caps on, and with Chevy
blocks, the oil pump attaching bolts, all of which twisted the bores measurably.
In the POCA News of August '98, I wrote an article in which the actual bore
readings with & without a torque plate were listed for one member's engine as
they rebuilt it. Due to core-shifts in a 351-C, there are some very odd twists
that can occur!   Good luck- J DeRyke