[DeTomaso] Forged pistons and deck height

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 12:35:28 EST 2007

> deck height (9.206"). Should I zero deck the block to 9.198" or keep it as
> is or do someone know about any other flat forged pistons for floating pin?

Keep in mind that those are nominal figures.  There will manufacturing
tolerances that may alter those numbers and your block or heads may or
may not need decking.  Keith Black suggests a 0.040" quench distance
for engines with steel rods.  As used here, quench distance is the
compressed thickness of the head gasket plus the deck clearance (which
can be negative if the piston protrudes above the deck at TDC).  KB
also notes that a running quench height in excess of .060" will forfeit
most of the benefits of a quench head design and lead to detonation.
You'll need to do a trial assembly to see where your engine falls.
It's not uncommon to zero deck the block so the piston at TDC is even
with the deck and then use the headgasket thikness to set the quench
distance.

Dan Jones