[DeTomaso] Replacing rear window

Scott Couchman scottcouchman at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 09:56:31 EST 2007

Lexan (GE) and Makrolon (Bayer) are both brand names for polycarbonate. Just use any polycarbonate. It would be nice if it had some UV inhibitor in it. The UV is what kills the plastic. Acrylic was used for taillight applications for that reason, but it isn't as tough as polycarbonate. As long as you don't have constant sunlight exposure, it should be fine. I wouldn't recommend storing the car outside without a cover. As polycarbonate ages, it will start to discolor (typically gets yellow). I've never tried it, but a tinted/clear window film with UV blockers would help also.

Phil Lockett <montecarlo296 at yahoo.com> wrote: Dawg,

  Go for generic polycarbonate. Anti scratch etc won't make a blind bit of difference in this application.
  If you find a local plastics supplier you'll likely get an offcut.
  Don't specify Lexan - it's a brand name and that's what you'll be paying for. If you want posh go for Makrolon: http://www.makrolon.com/BMS/DB-RSC/MakrolonCMSR6.nsf/id/home_en

  Don't use acrylic - it's not tough enough - and is thermoplastic so will likely distort above a hot engine.

  Phil

Bigger,louder, faster, better.

http://mail.yahoo.com