[DeTomaso] starter motor

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Nov 5 01:23:44 EST 2007

In a message dated 11/4/07 2:33:25 PM, edlebby at yahoo.com writes:

> hi guys - trying to replace starter - bottom nut (11/16) came off no
> problem - assume top (and there only appear to be two) is also 11/16 - but there
> does not seem to be room for a socket - seems as if a 11/16 stubby open wrench
> would be the ticket - correct? - or is there a tip or trick for getting a
> socket to fit? - have also taken off the electrical connection - once the second
> nut is off is that it? - slide straight out? - finally, good p/n for napa or
> o'reilly's? -

A socket just won't fit; you're on the right track with an open end wrench.
Don't damage that stud: its threaded SAE on the starter end and metric on the
bellhousing end. If you do bung it up, you won't find one at Pep Boyz! And be
careful- that stock starter weighs around 15 lbs so when it comes out   and
drops onto the headers, keep your fingers back! With a LOT of screwing around
with the heavy starter, you'll eventually find it comes out the front with GTS or
aftermarket semi-equal-length headers. CAn-t remember what the fitment was
with the OEM bunch-of-bannanas heards. I suggest you look around for a modern
gear-drive mini-starter: it installs & removes easier, weighs only 6 lbs, wires
directly and has about 50% more starting power. My McLeod (similar to Tilton)
has been in service since 1991 with zero attention and starts a smoking-hot
10-1/2:1 engine in 3 turns. Good luck- J Deryke