[DeTomaso] alternator problem again

www.ProvaMo.com Pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 4 18:45:02 EST 2007

If this were an old style Alternator and Regulator...(off vintage cars)

Either the regulator is not correctly adjusted (old ones were adjustable -
not Panteras) or it is now bad.

Or part of the diode pack in the alternator is blown and in only partially
charges now.

Often people replace the regulator with the alternator.

Chuck

Okay this is the second time I have had this happen.  I drive the car
somewhere and everything is fine.  I go to start it a little later and it
takes a
few cranks of the starter to start.  It doesn't take a lot as if it  were
flooded but it doesn't start right away but soon does.

Now the problem.  At this point the alternator light comes on at idle,  goes

off when the engine get above an idle.  The volt meter shows that the
alternator is only putting out about 12 volts and a mete at the battery
confirms
this.  Driving on the freeway at 3000 rpms volt meter stays the same.
Every now
and then the alternator light will flicker.

Seems like maybe I am blowing the regulator (built into the 100 Amp
alternator) or something if  I have to crank the engine anything more  than
1 or 2
seconds.  The starter is a Tilton 54-20013 (
_http://www.tiltonracing.com/content.php?page=list2&id=31&m=s_
(http://www.tiltonracing.com/content.php?page=list2&id=31&m=s) #   ).

The wire under/behind the dash are all good and tight and even have been
checked recently by one of our Pantera  Vendors.  Everything always  works
fine
except for the two times I have had to crank it a few times to  start.  I do

not let it just crank and crank and crank until it starts but  as I said it
does
take more than the short burst to start.

Looking for help.

Richard Mosier
3714