[DeTomaso] starter motor

www.ProvaMo.com Pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 4 18:38:14 EST 2007

I would guess you are talking about the "stock" Ford starter.
(I can't tell from a photo in the Registry - grin.)

The first starter I helped change gave us the same problem.  The nut size
was 17mm I believe, and we made a "custom" tool by turning down the wall
thickness of the socket with a lathe (a grinding wheel may also work).

A stubby wrench did not provide enough handle for the torque necessary, and
a longer wrench hit the inner fender.

"They" may sell a thin wall socket, but it was quicker to make one.

I still have it, and have used it more than once.

It slides out, and it is HEAVY so be careful.

Chuck Melton

hi guys - trying to replace starter - bottom nut (11/16) came off no problem
- assume top (and there only appear to be two) is also 11/16 - but there
does not seem to be room for a socket - seems as if a 11/16 stubby open
wrench would be the ticket - correct? - or is there a tip or trick for
getting a socket to fit? - have also taken off the electrical connection -
once the second nut is off is that it? - slide straight out? - finally, good
p/n for napa or o'reilly's? - thanks! - stephen