[DeTomaso] Day from Hell

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Sun Nov 4 01:17:49 EDT 2007

I've only had my car 11 months and sadly, I can totally relate!

I drove it today with no mishaps, however, and tomorrow I'm going to attempt a 120-mile round trip to visit my home town.

This evening I was going to increase the little bends in the dipstick to shorten it, when, sure enough, the stupid thing snapped!  It broke right in the middle of the "S"bends, so I simply overlaid the top "S" bends onto one of the bottom "S" bends, drilled two small holes and inserted two appropriately-sized nails, clipped off the pointy ends, smashed the stubs with a hammer thereby flattening them to become as rivets, and presto!  My dipstick is now exactly 38" from the cup to the tip.

It does look a little dorky when you remove it to check the oil, however.  (I'll bet I'm the only Pantera owner who has nails in his dipstick...maybe I should see my doctor about that!)

Chris