[DeTomaso] Day from Hell

Michael Shortt michaelsavga at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 00:08:36 EDT 2007

Got up, Put the original Campys on the car, cleaned the wheels and tires
after years of storage, detailed engine bay and washed /waxed car.
Decided to move car to better facilitate cleaning up the rear , etc.
Started, ran 40-50 feet and BAM! Huge backfire.  Wouldn't run at all.
Battery was weak after several bouts of trying to start it, finally died and
wouldn't hold a charge ( Red Top Optima ) took it to be tested, 7 weeks old,
held a great big 51 CCA, replaced FREE.  Air cleaner off, MSD Dist cap off
to check for water, none.  Replaced Coil with new one, still nothing, threw
caution and AMEX to the wind, new MSD box (6420) and at 10:30 p.m., it runs
perfectly.  MSD must have gotten wet, I ( will send the original in to be
serviced ( learned that they rebuild them for $75.00 ) and now, wanted or
not, I'll have a spare.
Tomorrow, HHI Concourse, ( Pix will be posted ).
Lessons learned.
Optima seems like a crap shoot.
Original Wheels and BFG Radials ride pretty darn good compared to 335/35/17.
The original wheels sorta grow on you, I never had them on the car before.
Keep water away from MSD box, even an accidental splash.
Make a long list, count on getting it done in one day and sure as crap,
something like this will happen and only 50% of the list will get done and
you too will be getting up at 4:30 a.m. finish before getting there at 8:00
a.m.

Michael in Savannah