[DeTomaso] Rear Brake lines

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Nov 2 18:48:26 EDT 2007

In a message dated 11/2/07 3:23:52 PM, tbaranek at earthlink.net writes:

> I had a "mushy" brake pedal and noticed brake fluid on my wheels (both
> rear). 1973 Pantera L
>
> There is moisture (brake fluid) where the flex line meets the rear caliper.
>
>>>Uh-oh.   That's not good!
>
> What is the "normal" failure mode (fitting, gasket, O-ring, etc...) at this
> joint and what is the fix?
>
>>>This is an unusual failure.   Personally, I wouldn't even bother trying to
find a fix for 35-year-old rubber brake hoses.   If I were to even touch one
with a wrench, it would ONLY be to remove it and throw it in the trash, and
replace it with a set of braided steel flex hoses.

> I have a great local hot rod shop that does stainless steel custom...what
> measurements/standard would they need to get the right length and compatible
> fitting?
>
>>>Don't bother--there's no way they could reproduce the quality of the
ready-made stainless steel hoses for anything close to the cost that it would take
for you to just buy them from a direct source--either a Pantera vendor, or a
brake line manufacturer like Classic Tube.

All the vendors carry these hoses on the shelf and sell them for $100 or so
for the set of four.   Unbolt the old ones, bolt the new ones on, flush ALL the
old brake fluid out of the system and refill it with fresh fluid, bleed the
brakes, and you're done.

While at the SEMA show I saw that Classic Tube is now making their flex hoses
completely coated from end-to-end with clear plastic.   No more sharp
stainless steel sawing through your paint on your a-arms.   Not such a big deal to
Panteras, as the normally don't touch anything, but it's a big deal to Harley
guys, for example.

They list hard lines as a standard item in their catalog, and I think they
make flex hoses too.   But your best/safest bet would be to buy the hoses from a
Pantera vendor.

> Do I REALLY need a special wrench to do this?
>
>>>I don't know why they make special brake hose wrenches.   These wrenches
capture the nut on multiple flats, instead of just two like a normal open-end
wrench.   Really, a brake hose wrench is just a standard box-end wrench with a
slot cut out so that you can slip it over the hose.   A box-end wrench is
generally a much better idea than an open-end wrench for transmitting max torque
without deforming the fastener.

If you have multiple conventional box-end wrenches and are trying to save a
few bucks, you could sacrifice one and slot it, making your own brake hose
wrench.   Personally, I'd just buy the darn wrench! :>)