[DeTomaso] Fiberglass Trunk Insert Fasteners

Dan Mixon tipo874 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 2 10:40:50 EDT 2007

Socket cap screws.

  _____

From: MikeLDrew at aol.com [mailto:MikeLDrew at aol.com]
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 9:33 AM
To: michaelsavga at gmail.com; tipo874 at comcast.net
Cc: detomaso at realbig.com
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Fiberglass Trunk Insert Fasteners

In a message dated 11/2/07 7:09:15 AM, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

Adding more mystery to the situation, I took a closer look at the
receptalces in my car, it has 6mm Nutserts installed in a perfectly round
hole, no filler and no sign of it ever having the origihal style fasteners,
there are no repair holes for the other two smaller holes that retain the
female part of a stock fastener.  Looks like it was done from the factory
this way, who knows, Stephno ran out of parts one day in June 1971.

The earliest cars, like yours, had the trunk secured not with Dzus-type
fasteners, but rather by metric Allen bolts.  Not allen-head cap screws, but
rather flat-top bolts; they have a specific name but I can't remember what
it is right now.  But you know exactly the type of fastener I'm talking
about--the same kind that hold the shift gate in place.  They were black
though, not chrome.