[DeTomaso] Fiberglass Trunk Insert Fasteners

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Nov 2 10:32:57 EDT 2007

In a message dated 11/2/07 7:09:15 AM, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> Adding more mystery to the situation, I took a closer look at the
> receptalces in my car, it has 6mm Nutserts installed in a perfectly round
> hole, no filler and no sign of it ever having the origihal style fasteners,
> there are no repair holes for the other two smaller holes that retain the
> female part of a stock fastener.  Looks like it was done from the factory
> this way, who knows, Stephno ran out of parts one day in June 1971.

The earliest cars, like yours, had the trunk secured not with Dzus-type
fasteners, but rather by metric Allen bolts.   Not allen-head cap screws, but
rather flat-top bolts; they have a specific name but I can't remember what it is
right now.   But you know exactly the type of fastener I'm talking about--the
same kind that hold the shift gate in place.   They were black though, not
chrome.