[DeTomaso] E85 and octane

Doug Braun doug at silicondesigns.com
Thu Nov 1 14:15:49 EDT 2007

MD,

    We both have cams with a lot of duration and last I heard, your 2006
engine was 11:1 with aluminum heads which is equivalent in octane
requirements to my 10:5:1 iron head.  Seems to me you could learn something
from this 1/2 slacker and use Super 104+ when you're not racing.  This way
you could lean on your car harder on the street without worrying so much
(like when that random Viper or Vette pulls up alongside).  The nearest race
gas is about 8 miles away and at 13 MPG I'd end up spending as much on gas
to go get the race gas as it costs to treat a tankfull of pump gas with 104+
treatment.  It's a whole lot easier to just carry the small bottles around.
Some of the places I autocross are 100 miles away and at 14 MPG I have to
fill up to get back home.  I can't afford to trailer my car; besides I love
driving the Pantera to where I race and it's more intimidating to my
competitors to beat their trailered cars with a street driven car.  The
Super 104+ makes it both cheap and convenient.

PS: You can call me cheap, and you can call me a 1/2 slacker, but don't call
me a full slacker until you come out and beat me on an autocross course.
Hah!

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505