[DeTomaso] E85 and octane

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 12:15:56 EDT 2007

Super 104+? Why not just buy the real stuff slacker?
  I don't need any race fuel unless I am racing but then I have alum heads, lots of compression ;-]> and a cam with serious duration.

   When I lived in Seattle the only time I ever added race gas was when I ran at SIR or PIR or the old track up in BC.  I was running a Boss 351 with iron quench heads and 11:1 compression and a lot of cam. Not sure when leaded gas was discontinued but I didn't have trouble with the engine detonating 'until' I moved to SF and the Bay Area in '86 where temps were allot warmer on track days at Sears Point or Laguna Seca.

  If your running a serious Pantera engine hard in competition or anywhere near WOT run a 50/50 or more mix of race fuel in track and ORR events. I run 114 leaded.   Durango Dave and Michael Frasier can ignore this advise since they won't ever reach WOT in their Pantera's! BWAHAHAHA

  MD

Doug Braun <doug at silicondesigns.com> wrote:
  Michael,

If you're talking about the standard 104+, I have to agree with you that it
doesn't do much for octane but I have to differ with you when it comes to
the Super 104+. I have a 10.5:1 iron head Cleveland that pings like a
banshee on any of the 92 and 93 octane premium gasolines in the Seattle
area. I use just 1/2 a bottle for each 15 gallons of 92 octane I buy and
all the engine noise mysteriously disappears. So if my engine pings on 93
without Super 104+ but doesn't on 92 with Super 104+ that tells me that it
has to be raising the 92 octane to at least 93.5 or more. At $9 a bottle
that's only $4.50 per 15 gallons of gas. I learned about how well the Super
104+ works from a (now-deceased) Pantera, NASCAR and Ford dealership owner
named Jim van Cleve. He set some drag racing records in the early '60's.
He had a beautiful Pantera with a 12.5:1 iron head 351C that he routinely
wound to 8500 RPM. He would run two bottles of Super 104+ and pump premium
with no detonation. Save yourself some money try the Super 104+. Be
careful though the Standard vs. Super bottles look very similar. The
standard stuff is usually $2 to $3 per bottle cheaper (stay away from it).
If you do try it, let us know how it works out.

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505