[DeTomaso] Electrical Grounds, Volts of Confidence Modification, and Pantera Electricals

rgranchelli at esedona.net rgranchelli at esedona.net
Wed May 30 12:44:47 EDT 2007

The biggest problem I found was the battery cables. I had a high impedence
ohmic contact where the battery cable was connected to the battery clamp
at the factory. Only half the cable made contact inside the clamp and it
was heavily oxidized with the residual flux & crap.

I ripped out all the battery cables, used 2/0 marine cable,(lots of
strands and flexible), used brass marine battery terminal ends.

Added two 2/0 grounds, one from the block to gnd, one from the starter
bolt to gnd in addition to the trans braid gnd. Also a HD solenoid.

Used an exide orbital battery as have had numerous issued with Optima red
& yellow tops, even when on a trickle charger.The Zona heat appears to
kill the optimas off.Had another die in the Jeep last mos.at two years
old.

The cable  changes made a huge difference in cranking in conjunction with
the tilton mini starter.It cranks incredibly fast compared to stock.

Cleaning the stud under the dash, cleaning all the lugs that connect to it
and using contact enhancing fluid in conjuction with local grounds at the
fan and using heavy duty osram relays at the fan made things run
faster.Mosleys relay system made a big improvement and timmas fuse block
is ready to go in when I get time.

Rgds,
RG
AZ