[DeTomaso] Electrical Grounds, Volts of Confidence Modification, and Pantera Electricals

F&D Terry gt5s at bcpl.net
Wed May 30 07:47:05 EDT 2007

Chris,

Thanks for posting your findings. The article I wrote for the POCA
Newsletter explained that I had grounded each appliance too but I had
not taken ohm meter readings. I only suspected there was a problem but
never thought it to be as large as you determined. I feel the single
ground wire arrangement presents a potential hazard to Pantera owners
especially now that many are adding accessories with higher current
demands. Nobody seemed to pay much attention to my article but your post
may cause a few to modify their wiring for a safer environment.

I discovered the problem because my ground wire had a break in it before
the fan junction. I don't know the cause of the break but the left
parking lamp tried to seek a ground through the left headlight causing
it to glow. Somehow current was routed through the windshield wiper
motor, blowing the fuse. After regrounding everything, I never had any
more trouble.

The single ground wire seems to be popular in Europe where many auto
companies use a single ground wire. Here in America, we ground each
appliance individually either through the devices' frame or a with a
short pigtail. I'm sure this was started for economic reasons to
conserve wire but it certainly works well.

Thanks again for posting your findings.

Fred T.