[DeTomaso] CONDENSER UPGRADE SUGGESTIONS?

fresnofinches at aol.com fresnofinches at aol.com
Mon May 28 19:46:42 EDT 2007

 In my research, I have learned that the newer design serpentine
and parallel flow condensers are more efficient than our stock tube
and fin design, and thus a smaller and thinner, newer unit can do
just as good a job as our OEM unit.? Not sure if Jack's Toyota unit
fits the newer description, but if it does then it may be better,
or at least as good as, despite being thinner. Our stock unit is about
10 3/4x16 1/2 x2, but I haven't found any newer units that small.

I'm looking at a generic 12x20x3/4" parallel flow unit as my potential
replacement.? Vintage Air has a unit with condenser, shroud and
Spal fan (12x20x4) for $199. I've done some cardboard mock-ups,
and the 12x20 can easily be made to fit, even with the tub in place.
Just not sure until talking with them Tuesday if it is parallel flow
design, but it appears to be.

That 12x20 gives about 35% more surface area and the parallel flow
units are said to be 30% more efficient for equal sized tube and fin
units.? Thus that size should easily be at least 50% more efficient
than the stock unit.

Larry