[DeTomaso] MSD (now Duraspark)

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon May 28 15:17:10 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/28/07 10:18:17 AM, pantera007 at sbcglobal.net writes:

<< Has anyone had problems with the Ford Duraspark? I've been running one for
more than 10 years now...  I keep one or more spares, but have yet (Murphy +
Drew luck) to need my spare. >>

What I think I know about Durasparks:
I lost one box this Spring while playing with the stereo; ignition on and the
engine not running. The coil will overheat this way and will take the
Duraspark box with it. Use the 'Accessory' key position.  Larry Stock says he has
lost several to the key-on thing- by driving into his covered trailer, killing
the engine then turning the key back to 'ON' to roll down a window so he can
exit the car thru the side window (his trailer is a little tight). He
consistently forgets to switch the key to 'OFF' again. Result- 3 blown boxes and 3 bad
coils in 5 yrs- the latest one at the '07 TPOC Spring Open Track.
2- Get a spare coil too. When the box goes it usually takes the coil with it,
and vice-versa. So just adding a new box doesn't necessarily fix the problem
on the road. I carry a spare Duraspark box plus one of John Christian's
recommended TFI coils (looks like a HEI transformer) for '89-'96 Fords. This coil
may be a little less sensitive to overheating since it has no insulating oil.
The TFI coil connects to the std Duraspark wiring if you pull the spade lugs out
of the fancy plastic Duraspark 'horseshoe' and plug the 2 wires directly onto
the coil. And get the TFI coil with spade lug connections- one version uses
round pins and that will cause you trouble in swapping it in an emergency.
3- if you use a conventional cylindrical coil filled with oil, mount it
straight up. Mounted sideways or slantwise, there's an  air bubble in the
insulating oil for heat expansion that, if not mounted straight up, exposes part of the
coil windings to no oil and they will eventually short to the case at that
point.
4- not all Duraspark boxes have the same bolt pattern or size of screws to
attach to the Pantera mount bar. Install your spare at your leisure to
absolutely check that it all fits.
5- In all these box-and-coil failures, Larry & I have yet to lose a pickup
module in the distributor. That thing at least seems bullet-proof!

While they work, they work very well. Good luck with any so-called 'modern'
electronic ignition!  FWIW- J DeRyke
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> See what's free at http://www.aol.com.</HTML>