[DeTomaso] Transaxle Removal

Douglas Kelm dakelm at qwest.net
Sun May 27 14:45:36 EDT 2007

Tom,
Whatever you do, PLEASE replace the side mount studs with bolts (mine are
allen head and require an 8mm key) once you get the trans out. Fortunately
mine had this modification and thank God it did. Removal could not have been
any easier. I didn't have to remove the distributor cap, loosen the engine
mounts or even place a jack under the oil pan, although I did just to be
safe. The engine is well enough balanced fore to aft with the transaxle and
bell housing out of the car that the exhaust system and muffler hangers are
sufficient to hold the engine steady. If you use allen head cap screws/bolts
for the side mounts you will need a cut down allen key to access the bottom
rear bolt on each side as clearance to the chassis is very limited. The
other two are accessible with a 3/8 socket drive allen key. I also found the
balance point of the entire transaxle/bellhousing to be right above the
rearmost stud that secures the axle output carrier or just slightly behind
the rearmost transverse rib on the top of the case..

It looks like I'll be needing a new pressure plate, disc, throwout bearing
(and it's carrier, :<() and pilot bushing. At least the flywheel is still
good!

Even though this is a major task, especially for one person who has never
done it before, I feel I have really learned at lot and fortunately haven't
broken anything in the process, YET!

Why am I pulling the trans? NOTE TO ALL: If you hear an intermittent rattle
(not unlike the noise a rattlesnake makes when it's about to strike) coming
from the rear of your car, your throwout bearing is on the way out. The car
may still shift and drive fine, but the bearing is shot! Unfortunately my
bearing had started to rotate on the carrier and consequently ruined it too.

Good luck with you task.

Doug