[DeTomaso] FW: Upper Rear Ball Joint Boots

David_Bell at oxy.com David_Bell at oxy.com
Mon May 21 14:40:09 EDT 2007

Forwarded from Jack DeRyke:

________________________________

From: JDeRyke at aol.com [mailto:JDeRyke at aol.com]
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2007 1:15 PM
To: jim.gray at wnlic.com; detomaso at realbig.com
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Upper Rear Ball Joint Boots

On the ball joint ring thats pressed in firmly against the upper a-arm,
there's a vertical groove that should be aligned so its pointing
straight out at
the rear wheel. The base of the ball joint is not open but has a slot
for the
stud to move through. If the slot is not positioned crosswise to the
body of the
car, wheel motion will cause the stud to rub against the slot opening.
This
makes squeeks in some cases and can cause serious wear.
Most upper rear ball joints are not pressed in very tightly; a std
hydraulic
press against the bottom of the assembly (NOT the stud!) will easily
move the
assembly out. This assumes you have already gotten the stud out of the
rear
upright. A short piece of water pipe will work as a press-pusher, once
the boot
is pulled off with your fingers. I've knocked them out with a piece of
pipe
and a hammer without even using the press. I've also seldom seen them
badly worn
enough to warrant changing. Good luck- J DeRyke