[DeTomaso] Upper Rear Ball Joint Boots

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon May 21 12:51:27 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/21/07 7 27 16, jim.gray at wnlic.com writes:

> I'm about to have my left rear ball joint pressed out so I can replace the
> split boot.  Isn't there some special way that the ball joint is supposed to
> align with the a-arm when it's reinstalled?
>
>>>Yes--there is a notch on the body of the ball joint, which should be
oriented so that it points directly at the body of the car (or alternately, points
straight out)

> Is there an easy way to press out the ball joint without buying a special
> tool?
>
>>>I don't know about 'easy', but it's possible to pop the ball joint out of
the A-arm with a hammer and chisel.   Been there, done that.   The body is
knurled so that it really grabs ahold of the A-arm, so it will take a fair bit of
work, first on one side, then the other, to gently 'rock' it back and forth,
and eventually, out.

But it's better to have a tool for the job. :>)