[DeTomaso] Speed at 7,000 R's with

Mad Dog Antenucci teampantera at yahoo.com
Tue May 15 17:08:52 EDT 2007

Dr. Dan,
  See responses below after <<<<<<

Daniel C Jones <daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com> wrote:
    > I don't doubt your formula or calcs but I have to disagree from
> experience....I'm not being a smart ass but how much road do you
> know it will take to achieve a "similar speed" as you put it if
> after 10 miles straight away I haven't inched past 177 MPH? ;-]>

Are you saying that you can enter a straight at 177 MPH at WOT
and not increase speed at all after 10 miles but at lower altitudes
you will accelerate? Is this on a flat surface? Are you re-tuning
for altitude (changing jets and timing)?
  <<<<<<<<<Short answer is yes and yes.....I am dyno jetting and timing is set up for elevation, specifically for SS but yea, I am saying and that the loss of HP at elevation is noticable in the longest straights that are at elevation....

> I am talking about not having ENOUGH HP to overcome the negatives of
> elevation....

If that's the case, then perhaps my assumption that power decreases
linearly with density is not valid. However, my (limited) experience
with non-turbo piston aircraft is they go a bit faster at altitude
than at sea level, even though power has gone done. There's also an
optimal gearing assumption. I suppose it's also possible that your
gearing is more optimal for lower altitude and you're on the wrong
side of the power curve at altitude. If you're at terminal velocity
at altitude and go downhill, can you hold the speed increase when the
road levels out or do you slow down again?
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<actually the speed will INCREASE as elevation decreases (SS road is a mostly 2-3% downhill run).  Junior told me he found he needed a MINIMUM of 650HP to achieve and maintain 200 MPH at SilverState...I got similar responses from Dennis Quella and Bobby Byers.

  > its tough arguing with a Pantera God....You still be my hero source
> for all things related to Pantera-land.

Argue away. Sometimes it's the only way we learn anything.
  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Did MikeT ask you about 'caming-the-EFI'??? Both Russ and Mike are recommending a different cam for the EFI. since we're planning to pull the engine in sept anyway what cam do you think I should go with. Never afraid to say I am still learning.
  thanks Danny
  md