[DeTomaso] GT5 Air Dam - scraping damage and rock ships

Peter Havlik phavlik at pris.ca
Mon May 14 16:17:39 EDT 2007

I am in the process of having my air dam repainted after only 2,000
km because of rock chips and damage caused by scraping on steep
driveway approaches. I would be grateful for some advice on two
related questions.

First, has anyone tried to apply the 3-M clear anti-rock chip coating
to their air dam (or any other part of the car, for that matter) and,
if so, what was the outcome? Are there any alternative products that
anyone would recommend I look at?

Second, I would like to modify the underside of the air dam so that
some sacrificial material starts scraping first before the brittle
fiberglass contacts the pavement. Has anyone done this, or know of
some other solution to the problem? I just want to hear a warning
scrape before I damage the fiberglass.

Thanks.

- Peter Havlik