[DeTomaso] Removing rear quarter windows

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun May 13 12:58:17 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/13/07 8:09:33 AM, mbefthomas at comcast.net writes:

<< Can someone give me the cliff-notes version on how to get those things out
and back in again?  Which corner do I start with, etc.  >>

On most unodified Panteras, they are held in only by the rubber gasket around
the window frame & simply slide in & out by hand. But 35 years of age
stiffens the gasket a bit so a flat-blade screwdriver near the door opening will
start the assembly and dislodge old paint, dried wax & dirt that may be holding it
in. On one '71 I did, the left window frame was slightly behind the edge of
one 'gill' so the gill needed to be unscrewed first. The right side was OK to
slide out unimpeded. Sliding the whole thing back in is helped if you use soapy
water on the rubber gasket.
Many of us remove the glass before replacing the frame/gasket since the glass
weighs 6 lbs per side and with it gone, it allows vastly easier cleaning of
the rear window, easy access to the fuel tank sending unit and contributes
nothing to the air drag on the car's sides as the boundary layer is at least 3"
away from the glass. FWIW- J DeRyke
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> See what's free at http://www.aol.com.</HTML>