[DeTomaso] Brake problem

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 11:10:58 EDT 2007

Will,

  Glad to hear you drive your car so regularly. If you don't want to have your car off the road for
  an extended period of time while re-engineering the brake system to remove the booster,
  yank the current booster and have it rebuilt. Just about every high-end exotic or performance
  car these days has power brakes, so I'm confident that loss of braking ability due to engine
  failure hasn't resulted in any serious accidents. Someone here in the good ole sUe-S-A
  would have sued the manufacturers into manual brakes. And FWIW, the balance bar brake
  system can be bolted up directly to your stock rebuilt power booster.

  Another alternative I've considered, because I also don't like the possibility of losing braking
  ability if the engine dies, is adding an electric vacuum pump to provide vacuum to the
  brakes. Just about every production diesel automobile uses such vacuum pumps for these
  things.

  Last, if you intend to remove the booster altogether, be sure to do your homework. Others
  on this list can chime in with what you will need in the way of master cylinder sizes etc to
  provide adequate stopping force under reasonable pedal pressure. You will not want to use a
  stock sized master cylinder without the booster otherwise you will have the same pedal feel
  as when the engine is off, and I think that's the problem you're trying to avoid.

  Cheers!
  Garth