[DeTomaso] HUB CARRIER BEARING TORQUE / Dick Ruzzin

mark skwarek ehpantera at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 09:13:55 EDT 2007

mark skwarek <ehpantera at yahoo.com> wrote:    I've noticed that Locktite has a Bearing Mount liquid that would enhance the press fit of the axle bearing and reduce the likelyhood of its rotating. Has anyone tried this product?

  Mark
  5481 & 5461

Dickruzzindesign at aol.com wrote:
  About a month ago, someone sent a message about hub carrier axle torque that
presented a theory that I had not seen or heard of before.

The idea is that the spacer between the bearings on the axle, through use,
starts to move and the two ends gall and are diminished resulting in a narrower
spacer. This results in the bearings becoming loose and failing.

This theory ties in to information in the little book that comes with the
Mangusta.

Under MAINTENANCE RECORD, every 20,000 KMs (12,427 MILES), is a note,
Rear hubs: inspect ring nuts torque: must be at least 21 Kgms.

My right rear bearings failed shortly after I got the car, at about 14,000
miles.
The axle had an aircraft spec. nylok nut on it.

This theory about the spacer is interesting since it means bearings fail not
because the nut gets loose but because the spacer gets shorter.
Is it possible that the factory knew this and that is why the retourqueing
requirement was recommended?

I now have castle nuts on my stub axles to keep the nuts from backing off. I
am thinking that will not work if the spacer is the problem.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

All the best, Dick Ruzzin.
DICK RUN DESIGN
920 WHITTIER RD. / GROSSE POINTE PARK, MI 48230 USA
Phone: +313-824-0539 / Cell: +313-300-9558

  The fish are biting.