[DeTomaso] The latest adventures in the garage

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Wed May 9 01:22:56 EDT 2007

Thanks, Mike.

By the way, today my mechanic came over and we timed the car and when it
still had problems idling a bit, he replaced the carb with an almost new one
he had (he paid $100 for it, which I'm going to reimburse).  He said the
carb that came with the car had been rebuilt at some point and painted, and
the paint had gotten into the inner workings somehow (I can't remember
exactly how he explained it) but, anyway, he put his on the engine and it
runs great!

I managed to get the driver's seat in the car and I took it for a spin
around the neighborhood.

I haven't replaced the bulkhead engine cover yet, so while driving I managed
to whack my elbow into the spinning engine pulley, but luckily it was a
minor tap and my arm didn't get ripped off by the belt...

Anyway, it's LOUD (which is OK with me) and seems to run well, although
there may be a small coolant leak up front.  I'm taking it into the shop
tomorrow so they can examine the brakes and check for other safety-related
issues (and leaks).

I have heard about the dim lights on the dash and boy, I sure found out
about that tonight!  I can barely see the dials, and the oil pressure gauge
doesn't seem to have any light at all.

I'm thinking there must be some sort of extra bright bulbs available, thanks
to modern technology, that I can insert in place of the stock ones.  If
anyone knows what they are, let me know and I'll buy some.

Of course, there were the usual glitches during the reassembly--for
instance, I managed to install the pistons that hold up the back deck upside
down (and I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right, too!) and while trying
to switch them managed to screw up the nice paint job I had done on the
coolant bottles.  Then I even managed to whack the body of the car with a
pair of pliers and put two big chips in the nice paint job.  At that point,
during the subsequent yelling and screaming, I think I may have actually
uttered a few words I hope my kids didn't hear...

I'm still waiting for a few more items to arrive in the mail to finish the
interior, and I can see that the more I do to the car, the more I'll want to
do.  But the nice thing is, even though it's not completely finished, I
actually drove it this evening, and that's cause for a celebration around my
house!

Thanks again for you (continuing) help with my project.

Sincerely,

Chris