[DeTomaso] Brake problem

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 20:54:14 EDT 2007

Does this help:

  http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-brake.htm

  it looks like, if the valve which lets atmospheric pressure into the back half of the booster gets stuck open, the vacuum could apply the brakes?  If the rod is continuous from the pedal to the master cylinder, and the boost just gives it a shove, it's hard to imagine how the bakes can be applied without the pedal moving.

  Ken

Will Kooiman <wkooiman at earthlink.net> wrote:
  Question: How does the vacuum booster know to boost the brakes?

I was driving down the road when the engine started acting like it was under
a load. It was pretty obvious that a brake or all 4 were dragging. I made
it to a gas station. All 4 wheels were noticeably overheated. The fronts
were smoking a little. The brake pedal didn't feel right. It was firm
immediately whereas it normally moves an inch or two before getting firm.

I don't have a shuttle valve or a proportioning valve. I have Porterfield
pads and stainless hoses, but it is otherwise stock. I'm embarrassed to say
that I haven't even taken the calipers apart. The master cylinder is
factory 35 years old too.

I loosened the brake lines coming out of the master. A little fluid leaked
out. I topped off the master, and it drove okay. The pedal was back to
normal.

I'm also embarrassed to say that happened yesterday, but I drove my car
again today. It's only 15-20 miles to work, so even if it locks up, it
isn't that big of a deal. Anyway, it happened again today.

When it happens, I'm cruising down the interstate. I'm not using the
brakes.

It is acting like the vacuum booster gets stuck and starts applying
pressure. I realize that sounds weird, but is that possible?

Will.