[DeTomaso] FW: Custom pulleys

F&D Terry gt5s at bcpl.net
Sun May 6 08:55:32 EDT 2007

There is ample room to run a 10 ribbed belt without relocating the
engine. I did so with a supercharged engine in a '72 and '87 Pantera.
There is no hazard of running any accessory in the wrong direction if
the ribbed side of the serpentine belt is the contact side. All driven
pulleys should be grooved pulleys so the ribbed side of the belt will be
the contact side. Aluminum pulleys are not weaker than steel when used
in a serpentine belt application, however, I strongly recommend they be
hard surfaced. The governing factor in any pulley application is the
speed at which the pulley is driven. Cast iron pulleys should be
balanced if their speed is excessive but aluminum will tolerate much
higher speeds. Very few cast pulleys are in use today since the casting
process is very expensive when compared to CNC formed pulleys. Some
companies supply cast ribbed pulleys suitable for timing belts but they
are in small diameters and of no practical value since most must be
mounted on special hubs.

I have said many times that there is nothing to be gained over the stock
vee belts by running a serpentine system. To install a serpentine system
properly requires that a tensioner be added to the slack side of the
driver pulley. A serpentine belt can easily "grow" over 1/2 an inch
under load so when incorporating an A/C compressor it is best to use a 7
ribbed belt, with 8 being a good choice. All pulley diameters should be
a minimum of 3-1/2" in diameter to reduce belt fatigue. The Gates Rubber
Co. offers some very good design manuals covering all types of drive belts.

Take a look at http://www.bcpl.net/~gt5s/drive_belts.jpg. The drive
system for the lower belts uses a 10 ribbed serpentine belt, a stock
V-belt and a 1/8" notched timing wheel and does not require the engine
to be moved rearward. The upper belt is 14 ribs wide. Both drives use
automatic tensioners and run flawlessly. The back cover of POCA profiles
issue 2004 #4 offers a better picture of the complete installation.

Fred T.