[DeTomaso] Belt Drive vrs Timing Chain?

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 14:43:17 EDT 2007

Dan,

      This is the Jesel story:

  http://www.jeselonline.com/index.php?categoryid=68&s=ce0bf33bf564f9c514a35227f606b67b

        But since they make belt drives, you would not expect them to run them down.  I have noticed that most the used serious race motors for sale include belt drives, which inplies that belt drives on common on the high dollar motors.

        I bought a Yates belt drive for my "engine in progress"  because I plan to use a solid roller cam and I like the idea of isolating the solid roller lifters from some of the crank vibrations.  I think high quality belt drives are common in race motors going to 9000+ RPM.  But there are probably cheap belt drives just like anything else.  I've seen what appear to be copies of the Yates drives, and didn't look too good.  I think the "good" belt drives retail for around $1,000, and can be bought for maybe $700.  In retrospect, the $s are probably better spent elsewhere?

  Ken

Dan Courtney <dfcex at pacbell.net> wrote:
  I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion / preference regarding the choice between a belt drive or a timing chain for a high rpm (8,000 +) race engine?
The Beast had a belt drive, this engine shop (which does not specialize in race engines) converted it to a timing gear/chain set-up, telling me steel is better than rubber.
Since I didn't get the engine in time for Pahrumph I'm planning to take it to the top race engine shop in town to have the cam timing, clearances and balance verified / adjusted and I could have them re-install the belt drive.
This timing chain set-up is adjustable to only three positions, through key-ways on the crank gear.

Dan

Dan F. Courtney

Excalibur Commercial Real Estate Services
La Jolla, CA

Phone (858) 551-5455
Fax (858) 551-5456