[DeTomaso] Belt Drive vrs Timing Chain?

Dan Courtney dfcex at pacbell.net
Fri May 4 14:19:46 EDT 2007

I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion / preference regarding the choice between a belt drive or a timing chain for a high rpm (8,000 +) race engine?
The Beast had a belt drive, this engine shop (which does not specialize in race engines) converted it to a timing gear/chain set-up, telling me steel is better than rubber.
Since I didn't get the engine in time for Pahrumph I'm planning to take it to the top race engine shop in town to have the cam timing, clearances and balance verified / adjusted and I could have them re-install the belt drive.
This timing chain set-up is adjustable to only three positions, through key-ways on the crank gear.

Dan

Dan F. Courtney

Excalibur Commercial Real Estate Services
La Jolla, CA

Phone (858) 551-5455
Fax (858) 551-5456