[DeTomaso] 3 newbie questions

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 17:57:15 EDT 2007

So, everything Jack and others have said is accurate, AND...

  1.  Why does it seem nearly all cars for sale need "air conditioner recharged"? Are they that
  poorly designed? Leaky?

  >> A lot of folks just don't care about the AC. They run their cars on the track and prefer to
  lose the extra wight and run with the windows down.

  2. What is the problem with the windshield wiper system? Seems lots do not work and often
  have the wiper arms completely removed.

  >> Most remove the wipers because they detract from the car's clean lines. Heck, even the
  Corvette's of the day hid the wipers below the cowl. It's just one of the compromises when
  building a car to a mandated price-point, and when taking it from concept to production in
  the extremely short timespan that the Pantera went through this process. FWIW, my wipers
  work fine and are in my front trunk, just in case. Then again, they're really not necessary for
  speeds over 40.

  3. How do you access the front of the engine (to check timing, etc.)? Is there access from
  the cockpit area?

  >> Access is better than you might expect. Just a hassle. Gotta get me one of those
  reduced bulkhead kits with the removeable center section one of these days to simplify the
  process.

  Check out my "How to Buy" page for more info on what to look for:
  http://www.banzairunnerpantera.com/how_to_buy.htm

  BTW - I rode around LVMS at the Shelby Nationals in 2000 in a Unique 289FIA Cobra. An
  exhillerating ride indeed. I actually preferred it to the 427 Cobra (Contemporary) I got to ride
  in because it was able to carry more speed through the turns. Granted, the 427 felt like a
  rocket launch once we were out of the twisties, but I loved the balance of the 289 FIA.

  Cheers!
  Garth