[DeTomaso] cam break-in question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu May 3 13:18:27 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/02/07 10:34:01 PM, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

<< Do I need to do the entire 20 minutes of (cam) break in, or since I
already did 10
minutes, is another 10 sufficient? >>

The idea behind breaking in a flat-tappet cam is to wear both the cam lobes
and lifters into compatibility. This is done by running the engine at a high
enough rpm so there's enough oil splashed onto the parts to lube them; running
too slow won't supply enough oil, and running the engine under high load also
is non-good. The 20 min recommended by the mfgr is likely not exact but is
suggested to cover most conditions. Also be aware that there are a couple of other
possible failure points in new cams besides the lifter/lobe compatibillty
issue. For instance, we've found an occasional incorrect tooth-angle ground into
cam gear teeth that drives the distributor gear, so in less than 5 miles, the
teeth were GONE from the dizzy gear. And with that much metal washed down in
the oil pan, this caused another engine rebuild. So before you fire up again,
pull the distributor and carefully check the gear teeth for wear. This is
regardless of what metal the dizzy gear is made of. Good luck- J DeRyke
http://www.aol.com.</HTML>