[DeTomaso] Tri Power for 351C

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Tue May 1 22:39:24 EDT 2007

Perhaps someone has already mentioned this.  At the Fun Rally, Don Coleman
spoke of his time at the factory when they were trying to get the Pantera
performance numbers to meet or exceed the Ferrari 365GTB. They ultimately
settled on the 3X2 bbl set up to max power.  I spoke to him about it
afterwards and he stated they found 10 to 20 HP on the dyno with it verses a
four barrel Holley.

Learning that, I was surprised that I had not heard of this approach
previously.  Although, just as the new Ford GT was targeted to beat the
Ferrari 360, I didn't know that Ford had set its sights on the 365GTB in the
early 70s.  I suppose it makes perfect sense, they had the same attitude
with the GT40 at LeMans.  It is too bad, the Pantera was denied more
development.  In this case it seems Alessandro, and not Ford, was to blame.

JT