[DeTomaso] Vegas Drive Day 13

F&D Terry gt5s at bcpl.net
Tue May 1 07:51:25 EDT 2007

Dave,

If you are using the original fuel pick up tube,  your problem could
easily be vaporizing fuel. Fuel injection pumps require much more fuel
than the ones used for carbureted engines. They should be operated as a
pusher pump, not as a suction pump. Your installation sounds as if your
pump is operating with a long small diameter tube on the inlet or
suction side. This lowers the pressure on the inlet side of the pump
which lowers the boiling point of the fuel and causes fuel vapor to
form. This can be remedied by placing your pump in the tank or
underneath the tank with the shortest length of dash 10 line possible.

As you drive your car, fuel is circulated across a hot engine and
returned to the gas tank. The more you drive the hotter the fuel in the
tank gets making it easier for it to vaporize under the low pressure in
the fuel pump suction line.

Fred T.