[DeTomaso] "Bolt-In" Hall Pantera Brake Master Cylinder & Air Filter

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue May 1 02:39:17 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/30/07 5 47 4, rickrows at hotmail.com writes:

> Also I ordered the very nice Pantera air filter.  The rear deck lid just
> does close with no room to spare and I'll have to watch it when the motor is
> reved to see if it rubs.  I don't think there is any hope of getting the
> motor screen (curved grate) back on without some bending or modification
> Anyone have any solutions?

The location of the carburetor (and thus the air cleaner) can vary greatly
from one intake manifold to another, both in the fore-aft plane, and vertically.
  Most are also angled so the rear is higher than the front.   You can buy a
deeply dropped base from K&N (via Summit Racing) which will drop the whole
affair down, but your air filter will have to be tall enough to support it; if
you have 1/2 inch gap between the underside of the air filter lid and the top of
the carb, and then buy a base with an additional 1/2 inch drop, you will shut
off all airflow into the carb!

FWIW, my intake (Blue Thunder) is too tall, and with the standard air cleaner
element and a drop base, the back of the lid ran smack into the decklid.
The interim solution was to get an even taller element, which raised the lid
high enough so that the decklid closes (and very lightly kisses the filter
element).   A better solution might involve machining the intake manifold flat to
lower the carb enough so that it will fit under the decklid with a shorter
element, and thus enable me to run my engine screen.

It's a shame I have to pull my intake manifold now and fit new gaskets due to
big-time oil leaks, because ideally I'd like to line up somebody to machine
it flat (and re-tap the holes so the carb studs would be at the correct angle),
and just change it once, rather than having to pull it again later.   I might
pull the intake next week and ship it off somewhere while I'm travelling,
then render the car mobile again once I get home....