[DeTomaso] NO REAR BRAKES MANGUSTA / Dick Ruzzin

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Mar 31 14:54:19 EDT 2007

In a message dated 3/31/07 7:41:05, Dickruzzindesign at aol.com writes:

<< Any one ever experience this, any theories? >>

>>>Master cylinders typically have a range of motion, from 'brakes off' to
"oh crap some idiot just turned left in front of me!"

The cylinder is bored its full length, but the seals only travel back and
forth over a portion of that distance.  That portion of the master cylinder is
nice and smooth, but beyond that, it is common for pitting and rust to develop,
especially if the fluid hasn't been changed every two years like they say you
are supposed to.

(And has ANY of us ever really changed all their brake fluid on all their
cars every two years?  I know *I* haven't!!!)

So.  Now you have opened up the system and are refreshing it.  When pumping
the pedal, presumably it went to the floor--that meant that the seals went past
their happy spots into uncharted territory.  Chances are that the 'step' you
felt was the seals suddenly encountering a portion of the bore that looked
like the dark side of the moon.  And then the seals got torn to shreds, and now
your master cylinder is toast. :<(

If you remove it,  you might be able to have it honed or sleeved, and
rebuilt, but they are common Girling units, so it is probably more economical to
replace it.  You just need to know what the bore diameter is.

That's my guess, FWIW.  Please let us know what you find out--I'd be
interested to know if I'm right, or way out in left field....

Good luck!

Mike
http://www.aol.com.</HTML>